Each Assistant Principal of the Year candidate will demonstrate success in the following areas:
- Involves teachers, staff members, parents, students, and the community in achieving the goals of the school and district
- Provides direction or focus to achieve the school’s goals as a member of the school’s leadership team
- Models continuous professional growth
- Teaches, coaches, and assists others in professional development that focuses on student learning
- Balances management tasks with instructional leadership tasks
- Utilizes available technology tools for school management and operation fostering collaboration and communication to effectively solve problems within the school community.
Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment
- Improves teaching and learning by implementing programs and improvement efforts
- Observes, supervises, and evaluates teachers and instructional programs to maximize the learning opportunities for every student
- Analyzes multiple sources of data to improve instructional practices and outcomes
- Demonstrates knowledge of learning, teaching, research, and programs that maximize student performance
- Facilitates in developing and maintaining cocurricular programs that complement the curriculum while fostering students’ academic success
- Contributes to make certain all students have access to challenging courses and support mechanisms
- Leads in the use of available technology for management and delivery of instruction as well as the advancement of adaptation of learning, invention, and creativity.
- Assists in establishing and maintaining a positive school climate that reflects high student and staff morale
- Interacts professionally and tactfully with others
- Assists in creating structures that enable teachers to develop an appreciation for each student’s abilities
- Acknowledges achievement or accomplishments of students and teachers
- Communicates effectively orally and in writing
- Models values, beliefs, and attitudes that inspire others to higher levels of performance
- Assists in developing and maintaining dialogue with representatives of diverse community groups
- Leads in the use of available technology to meet the unique learning needs of each student.