How to Apply
Participation in The NASSP/Virco National Assistant Principal of the Year Program is available through your State Assistant Principal of the Year Program. One assistant principal is selected annually from each of the 50 states, the District of Columbia, and the Department of Defense Education Activity. Within the states the selection processes vary, for information on a state's selection process, please contact your state affiliate
- Any assistant principal or equivalent (e.g., vice principal, associate principal, or dean) of a public or private middle school or high school is eligible to be a National Assistant Principal of the Year candidate.
- All applicants must have been in an assistant principalship atone ore more middle level or high schools for a minimum of two years.
- Middle level and high schools are defined as those that serve students at grade level 6 and above.
- Applicants must be members of NASSP and their state affiliate association
- Candidates must be an assistant principal at the time of selection as State Assistant Principal of the Year. For national finalists, these conditions must also be met at the time of the National Assistant Principal of the Year interviews in March and throughout the year of his or her term.