Contribute to Principal Leadership
You’re an expert in education. Please share your knowledge and experience with your fellow school leaders in Principal Leadership magazine.
Write about one of the following themes or submit an article on another topic of interest to principals, assistant principals, or aspiring principals.
Principal Leadership is your magazine—help make it an even more valuable resource by writing an article or passing these themes on to a colleague who has a great program or unique perspective.
2019–20 Editorial Calendar
We are seeking articles on the following topics. However, feel free to submit an article idea or draft on any topic by emailing email@example.com.
- Rural education
- Building relationships with local colleges
- School culture & climate
- Music education
- Sports in high schools
- Student exchange programs
- Turnaround schools
- Food allergies
- Arts education
- Engaging parents
- New Instructional methods
- Working with millennial teachers
- Innovative ways to boost literacy
- Integrating K–12 instruction
- International programs
- Bringing in community leaders
- Alumni programs
- Student mentors
- Student voice
- Summer programs
- After-school programs
- Budget issues
- Behavioral health
2019–20 Submission Deadlines
Dates are listed below by issue, but contributors are encouraged to submit articles throughout the year, as the content may be considered for a different issue or last-minute addition.
Article submission deadline: May 3, 2019
Ad close date: July 11, 2019
Article submission deadline: May 31, 2019
Ad close date: August 7, 2019
Article submission deadline: July 3, 2019
Ad close date: September 9, 2019
Article submission deadline: July 25, 2019
Ad close date: October 1, 2019
Article submission deadline: August 26, 2019
Ad close date: November 1, 2019
Article submission deadline: September 20, 2019
Ad close date: November 27, 2019
Article submission deadline: October 25, 2019
Ad close date: January 7, 2020
Article submission deadline: November 25, 2019
Ad close date: February 5, 2020
Article submission deadline: January 2, 2019
Ad close date: March 10, 2020
Manuscripts should explore one of the monthly themes or other topics of professional interest to secondary school leaders. Manuscripts are evaluated by NASSP staff members and are judged on their relevance, interest to principals, timeliness, originality, readability, and credibility. Principal Leadership seeks articles that:
- Describe best practices and exemplary programs objectively and include evidence of success as well as a discussion of barriers or problems
- Address replicability and provide details about planning and process
- Include research as appropriate and necessary
- Explain how principals can act on the information
- Include tips, advice, resources, and examples for sidebars
- Offer opinions on some topic of professional interest to principals.
Manuscripts should be no more than 2,000 words, including references, but may include additional supplemental material. Successful manuscripts are written in a tone and style appropriate to a magazine; are well-organized; clearly establish the purpose of the article; use specific examples—it is best to show, not tell; summarize relevant research succinctly; and adhere to the rules of grammar. Please refer to the most recent edition of the AP Stylebook for all style matters. Research manuscripts with extensive notes and references are more appropriately submitted to the NASSP Bulletin, a peer-reviewed journal.
How to Submit
Please send your manuscript to firstname.lastname@example.org and include:
- The manuscript prepared in MS Word for a PC.
- A cover letter that indicates your intention to submit the manuscript to Principal Leadership magazine and stipulates whether the manuscript has been submitted elsewhere.
- Contact information for each author: affiliation and title, mailing address, telephone number, fax number, and e-mail address.
- A two-sentence author identification for publication. The first sentence should include a current title, affiliation, and e-mail address; the second sentence should highlight key accomplishments or reinforce your authority in discussing the topic.
If you’d like to send photos to accompany your article, please attach the JPEG files to an e-mail and send them to email@example.com. (Photos should be at least 4″x6″ at 300 dpi.) Include a photo credit and a brief caption that identifies the school and the context. NASSP does not identify individual students and does not require release forms. If no photos are available, NASSP will select file or stock art to enhance the article.
If you use an extended quotation (including charts, graphs, and tables) from another publication, you must obtain written permission from that publisher before submitting the manuscript to Principal Leadership. This permission must accompany the manuscript and be properly credited.
As publisher, NASSP protects its rights and those of its authors from copyright infringement. An author who requests permission to republish his or her submission generally receives it, with the understanding that the author will cite NASSP as the original publisher. Each author is responsible for the accuracy of references, quotations, tables, and photo releases and should inform NASSP if the article has been published elsewhere. In accepting a manuscript, we ask the author to sign a statement that:
- The submission is original
- NASSP has permission to edit, publish, and copyright the submission
- NASSP may republish the submission or any part of it in any future publication
- NASSP may grant the right to reprint the submission in whole or in part.
- Within a few days, you’ll receive an e-mail acknowledging receipt of the manuscript.
- Within 8 to 10 weeks, you will receive a letter of decision. If a manuscript is accepted, it may be months before a publication date is assigned.
- If the article is accepted, you will receive an Intellectual Property Transfer to sign. (See previous section for a discussion of copyright.)
- Editors will be in occasional contact with you to discuss revisions.
- When the article is published, you will receive three complimentary author copies.
If you have questions, please contact:
1904 Association Drive
Reston, VA 20191-1537