Whereas, All students should have an equal opportunity for public school choices offered without discrimination on the basis of race, gender, socioeconomic status, or disability.
Whereas, Education is essential to our democratic form of government and support of and improvement to the nation’s school system must be a societal priority.
Whereas, The acceptance or use of public funds for any alternative choice model must be contingent upon a level playing field that requires every recipient of public funds to abide by the same laws, rules, and regulations as public schools.
RESOLVED by the National Association of Secondary School Principals that:
- Educational choice must be defined in its broadest sense as increasing the opportunities for all children to learn in ways that best meet their abilities and needs.
- All schools accepting public funds should be accountable to a recognized public agency and accept responsibility for meeting the needs of all students.
- All recipients of public funds for educational purposes should be required to follow the same mandates, including the selection, admission and retention of all students; the licensing and certification of all professional staff, and the participation in all state and/or district assessment programs as required by public schools.
- All schools should comply with state and federal legislation requiring instruction of all youth, including those in special education.
- All students must have an equal opportunity for the choices offered without discrimination on the basis of race, socio-economic status, or disability.
- No public funds may be used for the advancement of religious or political doctrines in violation of constitutional prohibitions.
Adopted July 6, 2000