Find more resources from NASSP on the topic of Building an Inclusive School Culture.
- College Board. (2012). AP Potential—web based tool that identifies AP students likely to succeed on the exam to ensure that no student with potential is overlooked. In addition, it makes determinations as to which AP courses to offer at a school.View the web-based tool for AP Potential
- “Organizing Strategies for maximizing equity & access in K-12 Schools: Building high-performance relationships & environments” (College Board AP). This tool provides a basis for educators to explore and discuss their work in maximizing and equity and access in their AP program. Educators can identify the status of their school from the tool’s three lists of organizational characteristics that align and not align with maximizing equity and access.Visit the AP website
- Writing Preparation for Educators for ESL/ELL Students. This workshop helps teachers prepare students that have recently exited ESL/ELL classes for the writing section of the SAT by using models and hand-on exercises.Attend the workshop: Writing Preparation for Educators for ESL/ELL Students
- College Board. (2012). 8th Annual AP Report to the NationView the 8th Annual AP Report to the Nation report
- College Board. (2011). One Year Out: Findings From a National Survey Among Members of the High School Graduating Class of 2010Download the report: One Year Out
- Contreras, Frances; Flores-Ragade, Adrianna; Lee, Jr., John Michael & McGuire, Keon M. (2011). College Board Advocacy & Policy Center. (2011). The College Completion Agenda 2011 Progress Report: Latino Edition.Download the report: College Completion Agenda 2011 Progress Report: Latino Edition
- Howell, Jessica & Smith, Jonathan. (2011). College Board Advocacy & Policy Center. (2012). The CollegeKeys Compact 2012 Catalog of Effective PracticesDownload the report: CollegeKeys Compact 2012 Catalog of Effective Practices
- College Board. Writing Preparation for Educators for ESL/ELL Students WorkshopAttend the workshop: Writing Preparation for Educators for ESL/ELL Students
- College Board Advocacy & Policy Center. Getting Into College: A Cross-Cohort Examination of College Preparations by Lower-SES StudentsDownload the report: Getting Into College
- College Board. (2012). Minority Student Success: The Role of Teachers in Advanced Placement Program CoursesDownload the report: Minority Student Success
- College Board Advocacy & Policy Center. (2011). Teacher Voices: Immigration, Language and CultureDownload the report: Teacher Voices: Immigration, Language and Culture
- Pre-AP Instructional Learning Strategies-Inclusion of Special Needs Students in Curriculum That Leads to College. The workshop teaches administrators with Pre-AP curriculum building responsibilities on how to plan, implement, and evaluate inclusion for college-bound special needs students.Visit the Pre-AP Instructional Learning Strategies website
- Hartzman, Marlene & Mero Dianne. (May 2012). Bloomfield High School: Diversity spurs growth. Principal Leadership, v12 n9 p20-25.Download the article: Bloomfield High School: Diversity spurs growth.
- Hartzman, Marlene & Mero Dianne. (May 2012). Woodbridge Middle School: Getting better together. Principal Leadership, v 12 n9 p.76-80.Download the article: Woodbridge Middle School: Getting better together.
- Hartzman, Marlene & Mero Dianne. (May 2010). Menominee Indian Middle School: A community school with voice and heart. Principal Leadership, v 10 n9 p.38-44.
Staff members’ leadership took a school from underperforming to winning state recognition.Download the article: Menominee Indian Middle School: A community school with voice and heart.
Additional Resources ($)
- Breaking Ranks® Comprehensive Assessment of School Environment™ (CASE) Survey
Survey—gives your stakeholders a valuable voice in school improvement conversations by providing data on: stakeholder satisfaction with the status quo; perceived strengths and weaknesses of the school; and areas for future improvement.View the assessment: Breaking Ranks
- NASSP. (2011). Breaking ranks: The comprehensive framework for school improvement for K-12 school leaders. Reston, VA: Author.
This book brings together all the pieces that must be addressed in order to make substantive, sustainable school change that results in improved student performance. This publication reflects NASSP’s ongoing experience and expertise in developing school leaders and incorporates tools and lessons from the entire Breaking Ranks series into one comprehensive volume that elementary, middle level, and high school leaders can use to take their schools to the next level of excellence. 2011. 192pp.Visit the NASSP website store to purchase Breaking Ranks
- Taulbert, Clifton. (2006). Eight habits of the heart™ for educators: Building strong communities through timeless values. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin.
Through inspirational stories and time-honored principles, the author explains the Eight Habits of the Heart—nurturing attitude, dependability, responsibility, friendship, brotherhood, high expectations, courage, and hope—and how educators can find a renewed sense of purpose and mission by implementing these habits into their own lives and the life of their school. Corwin Press. 2006. 152 pp.Purchase the book: Eight habits of the heart™ for educators