Protection. Security. Reliability.
NASSP’s in-dues professional liability insurance program affords members peace of mind. The insurance policy provides professional liability coverage for claims filed against each eligible member of NASSP.
There are no premiums payable by members or their schools for this plan. Members of unified states receive $2 million in coverage; members of nonunified states receive $1 million in coverage.
Members of nonunified states may purchase an additional $1 million in coverage for $25 per year. Visit the NASSP member insurance program website for more details. There, you can also view the policy form for your state, including coverage details, benefits, eligibility requirements, limitations and exclusions.
The professional liability policy will not extend to the following circumstances:
- Claims arising out of the use, operation, maintenance of any vehicle (including buses and vans), aircraft and watercraft
- Where the member is acting as an independent consultant or as a school board member
- Where the injury arises out of a contract other than the member’s professional employment contract as a principal
- Incidents where it is found that the member acted fraudulently, with malicious purpose or intent, or with deliberate indifference resulting in foreseeable physical or mental harm
- Claims filed by one NASSP member against another NASSP member
- Imposition of fines, penalties, exemplary or punitive damages
- Criminal matters, except as detailed below.
In the event of a claim, a representative of the Sedgwick Claims Management who represents Trisura Speciality Insurance Company will contact you. They will provide the necessary guidance for any civil suits in which you are named. Your policy through NASSP provides for both defense and indemnification.
Your continuous, uninterrupted membership in NASSP is required to receive coverage for prior acts under the policy. So, you must be a member of NASSP at the time the incident resulting in a professional liability lawsuit occurs, and you must remain a member at the time the claim is made.
NASSP’s policy includes a generous legal benefits program, which provides up to $10,000 (see NASSP website for details) for the reimbursement of legal expenses incurred when a member is subject to a job-related, due-process proceeding.
Feel free to contact our insurance program administrator, Breanna Warren at Forrest T. Jones & Company at (800) 821-7303 ext. 1790 with any questions you may have regarding your NASSP professional liability/legal benefits coverage.