Reston, VA – The vision of effective school leadership just became clear and practical with the release of Building Ranks, an actionable framework developed by the National Association of Secondary School Principals (NASSP), the leading organization of and voice for principals and other school leaders across the United States. Building Ranks provides a cohesive and accessible picture of the leader’s evolving complex role—one that supports the success and well-being of each student and adult in the learning community. It promotes the ongoing growth of each school leader—in his or her unique context—by providing strategies and resources.
“Building Ranks is a powerful expression of contemporary school leadership and a platform for advancing innovative, adaptive, and equitable education throughout America’s schools,” said NASSP Executive Director JoAnn Bartoletti. “We are confident Building Ranks will go a long way toward illuminating the specific areas where the principal can have the greatest and most effectual impact.”
Structurally, Building Ranks provides a model of 15 dimensions of principal practice under two domains: Building Culture and Leading Learning. The model was developed by a diverse team of principals and other experts in educational leadership. The standards-based framework contains authentic examples of principal practices, strategies, and resources, and aims to build a more effective learning community for principals.
The Building Ranks framework is brought to life by the Educational Leadership Product Suite, which includes:
- Building Ranks: A Comprehensive Framework for Effective School Leadership: a guide that translates new educational leadership standards into an actionable framework through exercises, practical tools, case studies, and more
- What the Research Shows: Building Ranks in Action: an annotated bibliography of research that supports and validates each of the 15 Building Ranks dimensions
- Workshops: interactive 90-minute, half-day, or full-day workshops to assist with implementation of the Building Ranks framework in the district or school
Later this year, NASSP will add three resources to the Educational Leadership Product Suite:
- Diagnostic of Educational Leader Practice: an online “day in the life” diagnostic that helps principals identify their leadership strengths and growth areas
- Educational Leadership 360° Survey: a survey that provides feedback on the educational leader from his or her certified staff, non-certified staff and supervisor
- School Culture Survey: a survey that summarizes the perceptions of key stakeholders of the school community on the school culture
The National Association of Secondary School Principals (NASSP) is the leading organization of and voice for principals and other school leaders across the United States. NASSP seeks to transform education through school leadership, recognizing that the fulfillment of each student’s potential relies on great leaders in every school committed to the success of each student. Reflecting its long-standing commitment to student leadership development, NASSP administers the National Honor Society, National Junior Honor Society, National Elementary Honor Society, and National Student Council.